Raffi’s 11 month update
I say it every month, but every month is my FAVORITE one. As Raffi grows and develops I am having even more fun with him. I love the way we can interact now.
Here are 11 things about 11 months:
1. Raffi now stands unassisted and will stay there for a minute or so playing with a toy. He will take a few steps before diving for whatever he was reaching for. Walking full time is around the corner, and while I know I should be scared I’m really excited. When he crawls he still does his straight legged crawl.
2. He can follow basic directions! This was the month where I realized he understands me. It is such a unique feeling to know communication can truly be two ways. I taught him to put a block in a cup, put a cup in a cup, etc. Sometimes he listens and does it, but other times he doesn’t. If I ask him to go get his water he will usually oblige, and when I tell him to give me a hug he does.
3. Not only does Raffi have full on conversations with himself, he also has a few words. Right now he says “baba” (for Trig), “wawa” (for nonna), “PaPa” (for PopPop), and “baba” (for banana). He says lots and lots of other things, but who knows what they mean.
4. He is a little trickster. He spat out some water from his cup and I laughed really hard, so he then repeated it about 1,000 times. He makes me so happy.
5. Raffi will share with me or his stuffed animals, but he isn’t quite sure how to hand things over nicely. Instead, he chucks them at you. He also likes to throw food right off the high chair when he’s done eating. It is infuriating and funny at the same time.
6. When you leave and say BYEEEE while waving he will finally wave back! I love it when he waves. When Trig closes the front door Raffi starts saying baba? baba? baba? over and over again. He loves his baba.
7. Naptime is still at 9 AM and 2 PM, and he usually sleeps for 1-1.5 hours at each nap. His bedtime is closer to 7:30 PM, and he will sleep until almost 7 AM. I’m crossing my fingers it stays that way. At 11 months he is down to nursing 4 times per day and we are actively weaning.
8. Raffi will play peekaboo behind the curtains when he’s in his room. He loves his room and when he’s tired he just starts crawling up the stairs to go to his crib. When we were at the shore he even did it at our aunt’s house. He is a smarty pants.
9. I always hated changing Raffi’s clothes, but it recently has become much easier. He will now lift his feet to help me take off or pull on his pants, and he tries to help me get his arms through his shirts. He sometimes freaks out at diaper changes, but other times he will lay there and talk to me about his day as I’m changing him.
10. Raffi notices and loves when we are all together. He keeps looking from Trig to me and smiling as big as he can. He loves family time.
11. Sometimes while I’m cooking dinner Raffi crawls into the other room to play with his toys. That area of the house is completely baby proofed so I feel comfortable leaving him there and checking on him now and again. Many days when I check on him I can’t find him. Where is he? In his crawl tunnel. He loves crawling in there and playing in his little hideaway nook.
Click on the thumbnails for the full image -
Weight: estimated to be around 19.5 lbs
Wears: size 4 diapers, 6-12 month clothing (although he still fits in some 6-9 month pants), size 2-3 shoes
Teeth: 2 on the bottom, 3 on the top, currently teething.
Loves: people, swimming, sand, toys that do stuff, putting anything in any vessel and taking it out, slamming doors, opening every drawer and pulling everything out, shaking musical toys, music, dancing, doing things that make us cheer for him, pushing anything from boxes to his walker to a lamp,
Hates: car rides, car rides, car rides
Foods he loves: string cheese, yogurt, Goldfish, peas, broccoli soup, grilled cheese, potato chips (yes we gave him a couple), lamb, strawberries, bananas as long as you don’t slice them, fruit smoothies, cantaloupe, whole plums, spaghetti, eggs
Foods he hates: some days he will now reject blueberries!, cow’s milk,
Favorite toys: his tunnel, stacking cups, books he flips through himself, walker, fake cell phone, bear puppet, animal farm puzzle
Previous updates can be found here.