Raffi’s 20 month update
I have so much to share with you. Raffi has changed so much in the last month. I’ll get right to it. It’s so hard to get the monthly photos now because he just wants to hold the camera. I swear he is a very happy child who smiles and laughs all day long – just not when he sees a camera.
- By far the biggest change is that Raffi is in big boy undies. We started toilet training around 19.5 months, and he’s doing great. 4 weeks later he is now completely day trained (including naps). We are still working on nighttime and #2 training. I’ll be sharing a full post with tips as soon as I can sit down and write it. I’m very proud of him and his progress. He even made it on a trip to and from RI (6 hours each way) without a single accident. He’s a rock star.
- Raffi is also now picking up words faster than I can write them down. He is starting to string together more complex sentences than last month. Examples include “hold you mama?” “Raffi sit bath” “I go peepee” “I go sleep”. He knows all of his animals, all of his foods, all of his friends, all of the family names, and surprises me every day with the words he spews out. I’m not sure if everybody can understand him, but I can.
- Speaking of understanding, toddler tantrums completely make sense. Sometimes he is trying to ask for something or tell me something and I can’t understand what he’s saying. If I tried to communicate and someone didn’t understand me I think I’d have a tantrum too.
- Favorites this month include the alphabet and counting. He knows most of his letters and spends his days identifying them everywhere. Sometimes it takes me a minute to figure out why he’s shouting “T!” over and over again until I see the letter “T” of the stop sign we are facing.
- Another big change this month is that Raffi sings! I love it. He takes a music class on Thursdays (Enchanted Music Together) and sings those songs all the time. I play the CD every day and he asks me to repeat certain songs over and over again. His favorites include “Hey Ya Na”, “Blue and Green” (the song that goes boing boing), hippity hoppity and the wedding song. He also sometimes sings “Twinkle, Twinkle” and the ABC’s. If we play his music during car rides he is as happy as can be. I’d like to get a very small iPod player for his room with a timer so he can listen to some music before bed, but I haven’t found one I like yet. I’m also not sure if it is a good idea since we also play the ocean white noise all night.
- Raffi helps me bake. When he’s in a bad mood we do one of two things: cook/bake something or play with water. This month he helped me make chocolate covered strawberries for mother’s day, and blueberry muffins for his breakfasts. He also played with water about 20 out of 30 days.
- Finally, after months and months, Raffi has stopped throwing food off of his tray. Meals are such a pleasure now. He eats well with a spoon and fork, and the post-meal-mess is far easier to clean up than it used to be.
- With an infant in the house and not enough time in the day to be a good mom all the time, I let Raffi watch a TV show every day. He used to only want to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, but now he asks for Super Why sometimes. If I’m being perfectly honest I really enjoy those 25 minutes of quiet time while I feed the baby or make my lunch or do both at the same time without also having to keep up a conversation. It’s a bad habit I know I need to break, but it’s just too easy to continue.
- I say “yum!” when something is delicious, and Raffi now says “Mum” when he likes the taste of something. I find this to be so adorable and I can’t help but smile every time he says it. He also says “pa-soon” for spoon which is so cute.
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge:
Weight/height: I’m not sure, but he looks much bigger than he did last month.
Teeth: He got several teeth last month, and I think they all came through. I’m not sure how many he has left to get.
Wears: Size 5 shoes, 18-24 month clothing, some 2T but it looks huge, no more diapers, size 2T-3T undies
Loves: playing with water, music, singing, doing pushups while we exercise, TV, climbing on the kitchen table, sitting on the counter while I cook, counting things, playing with his animal figurines, playing any musical instrument, milk, stickers, pretend food, spoons (yes, he is randomly obsessed with spoons), his little Giraffe loveys, laying on Ali’s swaddle blankets and pretending to sleep, laying on his belly to play, laying on his belly in the bathtub, wearing his cool new hat, opening and closing doors, hiding in closets
Hates: having to stay still while I clean his bumbum, bedtime in general, being hungry, being thirsty, having anything taken away from him (especially pens), wearing clothing, having foods he doesn’t like on his plate
Favorite foods: frozen waffles, peas, milk, water, juice (given to him during potty training), blueberries, watermelon, avocado, broccoli, strawberries, American cheese, pizza, beans
Favorite toys: his easel and small letters, his animal figurines, his musical instruments
Note: I’ll be sharing updates on Alessandra too, so keep your eyes out for her first update!
Previous updates can be found here.