Ina Garten's Spinach Gratin
Have you ever had decadent vegetables before? I haven’t. Usually I like my vegetables plain and simple.. steamed, roasted, or baked with a little kosher salt, pepper and olive oil. For Armenian Christmas I wanted to try something different. A vegetable dish with a little pizzazz. I decided on one of Ina Garten’s recipes for spinach gratin. I followed her recipe exactly, but will definitely try to make a healthier version in the future. I did use skim milk though. This recipe was super easy to follow, and great for a party. PB and I assembled the dish the night before (he chopped the onions and washed the pot, I did the rest), and when guests arrived I only had to pop it in the oven.
What a great contribution to our meal! The top was crunchy and cheesy, and the inside of the dish was creamy and gooey. It was a hit, so much of a hit there were no leftovers!
RhodeyGirl Tests Ina Garten’s Spinach Gratin
Recipe from FoodNetwork.com (link here), copied below for your convenience
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.
- I will be in Orlando, Florida for the Disney Half Marathon this weekend with my husband, PhillyBoy, and lots of fellow bloggers! Please keep your eyes open for some fun Floridian posts!
- Follow me on Twitter if you don’t already! www.twitter.com/rhodeygirltests
- Do you subscribe? There is a subscribe button in the right column if you would like all new posts to come to your inbox!