Menu: Last Minute Dinner
The last thing anyone feels like doing on a Friday night is hosting a dinner party. A simple dinner that covers all the bases in a few small dishes allows you to host a great party but still get to relax. This impromptu dinner party was a success due to a great glass of homemade iced coffee with skim milk for energy and our guests getting stuck on the George Washington bridge for a good 30 minutes. Those extra 30 minutes saved the day!
Here is the menu and how we made it all come together:
Last Minute Dinner
Simple Guacamole with Stacy’s Multigrain chips
Quick vegetable lasagna
Baked chicken breast
Metropolitan Bakery multigrain boule
Olive oil for dipping
Blood Orange Italian soda
Breyer’s Light Vanilla ice cream
Fruit salad (pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
How it came together: 5:30 PM- 9:00 PM*
*Note: This only came together so quickly because I did not. stop. moving for a second. If you plan to try this in this amount of time please allow for another hour or so.
5:30 PM: Work Ends
Go to Whole Foods and do our market shopping. Buy flowers. Catch a cab home to save time.
6:45 PM: Get Cooking
1. Prep guacamole and put in fridge
2. Make chicken and put in oven (simple method of lemon juice, olive oil, and spices)
3. Cut fruit, assemble fruit salad, put in fridge
4. Assemble salad but do not dress
**7:30 PM: Get phone call from husband that he will be late and you need to help him with something. Spend 20 minutes doing it.
7:50 PM More Cooking
Assemble lasagna and put in oven
8:10 PM Clean Up
1. Wash & dry prep dishes
2. Clean island, take out trash
3. Select servingware, dinner table set up
8:25 PM Prep Guest Room
1. Set candle in guest room
2. Put out towels for guests
3. Wash down sink in guest bathroom (was cleaned 4 days prior and just need spiffing up)
8:50 PM Crunch Time- Guests to arrive in 10 minutes (PB arrives also)
1. Slice bread & put in toaster oven in preparation for dinner
2. Run vacuum through entrance and kitchen
3. Remove foil from lasagna.
4. Dress salad and put out drinks and olive oil
5. Remember flowers and put them in vase
6. Put out chips and guacamole
9:00 PM Guests arrive!
Enjoy ourselves with our guests!
For more menus and plans please click here.